Our team of attorneys truly care about you and your family, not just the outcome of your case.
James L.S. Bowdish
Fax: (772) 223-4351
As the Chief of Litigation at Crary Buchanan and a senior member of the firm, James L.S. Bowdish practices general civil litigation in federal and state courts. He works cases involving contract and business litigation, shareholder disputes, corporate disputes, corporate breakups, corporate dissolutions, probate, trust litigation, hospital and healthcare litigation, and real property litigation. His experience with hospital and healthcare litigation includes vast involvement working with medical staff privileges and related matters.
Jim is an active Florida Supreme Court certified circuit court civil mediator. As such, he helps clients resolve legal issues outside of the courtroom. Additionally, he is a Florida Supreme Court certified Arbitrator. As a member of the panel of neutrals in the American Arbitration Association (AAA) commercial division, Jim has experience handling a multitude of commercial claims, business claims, and disputes related to the healthcare industry. In the past, he has helped clients with claims that exceeded $1 million.
Jim has made appeals to the Florida Fourth District Court of Appeal and is certified in civil trial law by the Florida Bar. He is AV® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® – a considerable achievement for any attorney – and believes that this honor is a genuine reflection of his commitment to giving clients the high-quality and ethical legal representation they need and deserve. In the past, Jim has served as President of the Marin County Bar Association. On multiple occasions, he has been appointed to serve on the 19th Judicial Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission by Governor Jeb Bush. Jim’s commitment to helping others extends past the courtroom. He has served as a member of the Vestry of St. Mary’s Episcopal Church for three terms and as President of the United Way of Martin County for two terms. Additionally, Jim served as a Captain in the United States Army JAGC for four years. As such, he handled courts-martial cases – including the first My Lai Massacre case during the Vietnam War.
- The Florida Bar, 1969 – present
- United States Court of Military Appeals (1969)
- United States Supreme Court (1973)
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida, including Trial Bar (1976)
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- United States Courts of Appeal, Fifth and Eleventh Circuits
- Martin County Bar Association (President, 1985-86)
- Judicial Liaison Committee (Past Chairman)
- Committee on Judicial Polls and Evaluation (Past Chairman)
- Nineteenth Judicial Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission (Appointed twice by Gov. Bush, 2001-2002; 2003-2007)
- Florida Super Lawyers®, 2006, 2007 and 2008
Alternative Dispute Resolution Qualifications
- Mediation: American Arbitration Association Mediation Course (1994); Florida Certified Circuit and County Court Mediator (1995); Participation as an advocate in numerous mediations in Circuit Court cases since mid-1980s.
- Arbitration: Certified Florida Circuit Court Arbitrator (1996); Member of Panel of Neutral Arbitrators, American Arbitration Association
Civic and Community Service
- St. Mary’s Episcopal Church (Past Vestryman and Senior Warden)
- Stuart Kiwanis Club (Member since 1973)
- Stuart Rod and Reel Club (Past President)
- United Way of Martin County (Past President for two terms)
- 1969-1973 Captain, U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps:
- Participated as Chief Military Defense Counsel in first of My Lai Massacre courts-martial cases to be tried in 1970
- Participated as defense counsel, and later prosecutor in numerous Special and General Courts Martial over a three year period
- Concluded military service as Chief of Military Justice, 1st Cavalry Division, Ft. Hood, Texas
- Honorable discharge (1973)
We are one of the oldest law firms on Florida’s Treasure Coast, and we value our long-standing relationships with clients.
Our attorneys consider it an honor to contribute their time and energy to improving our community, our government and the legal profession as a whole.
Our team of attorneys is made up of professionals who are experienced in handling all types of cases.